Monday, June 05, 2006

Greek Festivals and Guitars - Reprise

What a great weekend! The hot weather broke some and was beautiful for the Greek Festival in Richmond. I agree with Holly--it sucked that they said they were only accepting credit or debit cards. There was really nowhere to get cash so we missed out on certain things ... most notably the baklava sundaes! :( I still had a great time and was really glad we decided to go.

Ah the guitar. I named her Lady. She's absolutely beautiful. I never felt such a connection with a musical instrument before (and I've handled quite a few in my day ... starting with a trumpet, ugh). From the moment I picked her up at the store, just feeling her weight by the neck she just felt right. I sat on a stool in the store, brought her up and strummed a G chord (one of the few I can remember from years ago) and was blown away. The pure weight of her and the weight of her sound was inspiring. I've never seen a metal-bodied acoustic guitar before. I just fell in love. Poor Holly, the true musician of the two of us, understood the moment of "contact" and just couldn't turn her back on it. Thank God my birthday's coming up ... it made a great excuse for the gift. :)

I of course had to return the favor, so today we drove up to Richmond and visited Sam Ash, where Holly tried out about 100 guitars and finally settled on her dream machine, an American Fender Telecaster. What a sound that baby makes! She was like a little kid when we got home, all the while she ate dinner, her eyes kept drifting to the amp box and guitar case. She barely finished eating (I think there was still some potato chip crumbs on her lips) when she busted everything open and set it up. We spent the next two hours playing our wedding song, Living In A Moment by Ty Herndon. Okay, maybe not playing ... more like slaughtering. But you know what? It was starting to sound okay by the end of it. We've pretty much memorized the chords and now it's a matter of timing. I can't wait to sit down with her again tomorrow night and continue the massacre. ;)

What else? Hmmm ... oh did I mention that our new mailbox--our first home project together was replacing the ridiculous monstrosity left by the previous owners--was hit not once but TWICE? The things all smashed up! I'll see if I can get some pictures of it before I have to take it down. It's off to Home Depot again tomorrow to replace it. I tell ya, this is going to get old quick! Maybe I'll carve the next one out of granite. ;)

I'm off to put up a new gallery of some random stuff including the guitars. We wanted to get some shots of the Greek Festival but it felt kind of awkward just snapping shots of people crowded around booths. Maybe next year. :)

No comments: