Saturday, June 03, 2006

Greek Festivals and Guitars

We went to the Greek Festival today. I'd never gone to it before, and it was nice to get out and walk around, do some people watching and eat some Greek food. They had a website, which I visited to get directions, and it said that they take credit cards and check cards, but no cash. So we didn't bring any cash. And of course, most of the booths didn't take credit cards or check cards, only cash. That bothered me a bit - I felt gypped.

There were arts and crafts - the good stuff, not the stuff an eight grader made, but some nice stuff by some talented artists. We ended up coming home with 2 paintings. One for the kitchen and one for the office. Maybe we shouldn't have bought them, and just saved our money instead, but it's nice to splurge once in a while. I've gone to many a festival where I don't buy anything at all, so it was pleasant to buck the old tradition.

Then we went to Cary Town with the intent of walking down to the chocolate shop. We didn't make it past the guitar shop, though. We stopped in to have a look around, and wouldn't you know it, we tried out some guitars. Stefan found a guitar he promptly fell in love with. He'll be putting up pictures soon. It's an acoustic, with f-holes like a violin, but the body is solid metal. I've never seen anything like it. It plays very soft, and then with a pick, very bright. The resonance is absolutely brilliant. Sometimes you know when you've come across a one-of-a-kind, so I got it for him as an early birthday present. As some of you know, I had bought him a guitar off Amazon for Christmas. The price was marked down a couple of hundred dollars, so I was fairly certain I was getting a really good guitar for the price. The reviews gave it five stars as well. I ordered it in blue, but when it arrived, it was black. When we strung it, the strings broke before they could even be tuned. That really soured me, as money was tight and I had already pushed it by getting him the guitar. We re-strung it a few weeks ago, but it won't stay tuned. You can strum it once, and then it goes all out of whack. It's a real piece of crap.

When we got this guitar home, Stefan started playing right away. Just for kicks, I brought out the old guitar and strummed it a little bit. It sounded awful compared to the new guitar. Music is one of those personal things; I know better than to pick out an instrument for somebody else. I'm kicking myself for buying that other piece of crap, but oh well. I tried playing the new guitar, but the strings are too heavy for me. It works well for him, though. I did see a Telecaster that I am thinking about....maybe next year? In the meantime, we're thinking of doing some guitar and fiddle duets!!